Pages

Aug 29, 2007

creative mom

Another week has past...time certainly goes fast!
First a thank you for all the lovely comments I recieved on my last post. For those how asked me to write down the knitted star pattern; I'll think it over. You see the problem is I'm dutch and writing knitting instructies in english???? I don't know all the right words. But when I have a try at it, I let you know and will post it for sure!
I’m still busy knitting, I think I got the knitting virus real bad this time. I'm reading all these wonderful inspirational blogs, it must be contagious!


knitting a blanket

I knit star points and sew them together. I want to make a blanket out of it, a sort of patchwork blanket from wool. I'm still using soedan wool. My mother has two banana-boxes filled in all kind of colours that I'm free to use. So there's enough to keep me going for a while.
My mother is real enthusiastic about my blogging experiences. When she's at my place she always want to check out my blog and the blogs from others. She herself is a very creative woman, to bad she doesn't know the first thing about computers! Because she sure has lots of creative blogging material! She and her house, that's packed with all kind of books and crafts material keeping me inspired all the time!

These old (1958) Italian patternbooks came from a secondhand bookstore. Mom bought these a few years back and recently gave them to me. I never knew she had them! They are full with great patterns to make dolls and stuffed animals. They are made from felt and fake leather. I'm sureyou can make them in fabric too. I didn't try one out yet but I did found a little handmade doggie that looks just like the one in the book.

Italian craft magazines

craft magazines

craft magazinecraft magazine 2

dog pattern pattern

The four books above have instructions written in Italian. I can't read italian but the pictures are very clear and understandable.
The book below is written in dutch so maybe its wise to start with a pattern from that book first!

little doggie


At last....If I ever got tired from all the knitting and wanna do something completely different..... I can always make wine! Maybe not enough for a whole bottle, I'll be satisfied with one glass!
grapes

21 comments:

Levin said...

hey corry!
my mum is also fascinated by the blogging world - especially that I have made so many dutch 'friends'. She herself is not so crafty - although she did spin for a while and knit jumpers (one size fits all!!!) and she does fillet crochet - but best of all, about four years ago she decided to tackle computers and whilst she isn't an expert, she can certainly get around email and the web quite well now. it goes to show that you are never to old to learn.
those books are fantastic! such a lucky find - my daughter and i are rather envious.
goodluck with the wine making - i would suggest that you eat the grapes and buy some wine - much easier!
L
x

Anonymous said...

Isn't it fun to get things from our moms? I sure treasure the things my mom gives me. The blanket you are knitting with the star points will be very pretty. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Kieny The Dutchlady said...

I love your stars, they are very colourful and look so even in size and knitting!

Corrie said...

oh lucky you with those books and what a fabulous blanket! I just pulled out my knitting books as I have 3 babies to knit for....but I don't think I have time for a blanket! I love old pattern books nad found one at a market with miffy the white bunny in it....knitted up and so cute so might try that for the babies!
Corrie:)

Mary said...

Thats going to be a very lovely blanket when you finish it.The pattern books are great you will be able to make some very cute things

Amanda Jean said...

i love that patchwork blanket. it is beautiful!

I also love the little pattern books. that little dog is something that my kids would love, love, love.

Unknown said...

I agree with Levin, eat the grapes, they sure look delicious. Your knitted blanket will be beautiful.

Rose Marie said...

If your Mom can't blog ... well you can always show us photos of the things that she has made! That star blanket is sure intesting.

qusic said...

the star pattern is adorable, I 'd love to read a Dutch version, maybe not so difficult to write. seems you got the knitting bug too, I am knitting all free scarf patterns available, many yet to go, but looking at your fabulous grapevine winter's still far away.
Today was UFO day, I managed to get some sewing done, but the wool claims me :-)

Anonymous said...

That star point blanket it going to be beautiful!

Yummers! said...

Corry,
I'm so glad you stopped by my site yesterday (Yummers) because that led me to your blog which I really enjoyed. I went back to the beginning. I put you on my 'favorite links' list so I can follow your adventures.
Joni

Anonymous said...

I would love to see the pattern for the star pieces in Dutch also. Your blanket is just beautiful! Love your site...and lucky you on getting the old pattern books. ~Tricia

(Angie) Norththreads: said...

Oh how I love the stars!!!! Now I wish I could knit!!! Fabulous books too!
~cheers~
Angie

Marisa said...

Those stars are nice. Bold colors really work well. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jeanne said...

I don't knit, but can surely appreciate yours! The grapes look so inviting hanging along the brick wall. Have a glass of wine!

atet said...

Those knitted star points are wonderful! As for English patterns, not too bad K for Knit, P for purl, etc. (Ok, so now that I've see your points sewn together I REALLY want a pattern!)

Heleen said...

testje

Unknown said...

I am absolutely in love with your blog. Between the ADORABLE frame-worthy bambole e pupi and piccolo Zoo books, the little dog, and the gorgeous knit quilt, I am a new fan. I recently moved from the UK, had a stone wall, with grapes draping over...reminds me of my lovely place in London.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those pattern books are true treasures...Lucky you!

Beata (rosehip.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I just found it today.
I will visit it regularly.
Best regards.
Erla

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog through flickr. Your quilts are gorgeous, and I LOVE the stars! If you need help testing the English pattern, I would be happy to help.

Eva

trueepicure [at] gmail [dot] com