Pages

Sep 27, 2007

what's in the box?

A few posts back I showed you a box with it's contents, a "work in progress". I don't know if I told you, but I have many, I mean many boxes stuffed with WIP's. So I thought to bring in a new item on this blog called; "what's in the box".
Today box 2.

In it are two little embroidery works on linen. I bought the patterns in a shop in Antwerp (Belgium). A very beautiful shop that we had discovered on one of our shopping days. Sadly, the shop was gone the next time we visited Antwerp!
Full enthusiasm I started stitching until one day this little project wasn't in my head anymore!
Knowing me, I probably started something new, leaving this project in the box, forgotten!


This is the reason why I started this adorable embroidery pattern; the clothesline with all the quilts hanging on it! Isn't it lovely? A nice little cottage, Amish people picking blueberries....



My mother-in-law started to work on this pattern in the same period. I gave it to her as a present. But when she finished it, she gave it back to me so that I could hang the two of them together.
I feel ashamed for the fact that it's ten years (or more?) later and they still are in the box!
So I made a promise to myself, to have this finished and framed in the next month.
Hope I can keep that promise!

Note: I found this link on the internet with the original photo of the blueberry homecoming pattern. I changed the words into an alphabet.

19 comments:

Linda said...

Gorgeous. Know that 10 year unfinished feeling. I found you via I wannabe crafty and off to read/drool at your beautiful blog.

kristin said...

do we all do this? i have many unfinished pieces that had been hanging around for who knows how long!

Unknown said...

These are so beautiful, good luck and you will keep us informed how this project is going.

Levin said...

lovely embroideries - goodluck with getting them finished.
i really love the one you are currently working on - it reminds me of when mum used to put the mats outside to dust - many years ago. now we vacuum them - probably more time efficient, but somehow not as romantic????? lol
cheers
l
x

Yummers! said...

I like your idea of "What's in the box?' Aren't we all a bit nosy and would love to peek into a box?!

The piece is lovely... so sweet. I love the little bitty quilts.
Joni

atet said...

Lovely crost stitch pieces (it looks like cross stitch to me at least). And of course, when I followed the link I saw the companion to your blueberry piece -- the raspberries (my favorite). I do NOT need any new projects, I DON'T!

Jenny said...

I love the picture. Hope you can find the inspiration to finish it.

kcdi said...

Those are both adorable! I know I have things like that set aside in boxes... somewhere. They will look wonderful framed and on the wall.

Rose Marie said...

Both are adorable and I wonder what they would look like assembled into a wallhanging? Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful and will be more so when framed! Have just found your blog and had a lovely read. Just over a month till I visit the Nethrlands and my Oma and family. So excited!

Pascale said...

I just found your blog and spent some time trying to look at everything.Bravo, it makes me feel like taking my needle straight away.

Meg said...

I love stitching my life away also... your samplers look gorgeous! :)

meggie said...

Hi Corry, I am here from Leanne's. She named you along with me, for one of her memes.
I have enjoyed seeing all your lovely stitchings & postings. I will be back to read & see more.
I love your blue china on the side bar!

Nicole said...

What a happy surprise for you when you discovered this hidden away! They are absolutely wonderful!

monique said...

What a beautiful cross stitch pieces!Look forward to see them finished.

Jeanne said...

Corry, your Told In The Garden xstitch pieces are so pretty! You will be so happy when both are finished. I'm glad you have released them from the box. Good luck with your promise. I know you can do it.

Anonymous said...

I've just discovered your blog today. The knitted stars blanket is georgous. Am also hoping you will write up the instructions soon. Such beautiful colours.

Mary said...

You have lovely things in that box. Its amazing what you find that you have forgotton about sometimes isn't it!

Unknown said...

Oh Corry - I too have stitched a good number of those 'Told in a garden' amish cross stitch designs. I have two of them (The Quilting and The Barnraising) framed on my sewing room wall and probably another 10 or so all stitched and sitting in a plastic bag waiting for me to save up enough money to have them framed. They've probably been waiting at least 10 years - some of them maybe 15 years. Maybe I should get them all out and use them in the centre of blocks to make a quilt instead